Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Barbie talk

Barbie

Whatever Wilma is saying to Barbie down in Winona, I'm more interested in Barbie's response. Here we have a pretty good rendering of the original Barbie, the one with the "strong, fierce, vampish face." What this Barbie has seen has left her wise beyond her apparent years.

"Go climb trees," she said. "You don't want to be like me, pinched and pointed and curled."

"Don't envy me my ornaments, Barbie said. Forget matching luggage, the sports car, and Ken. Travel light, little sister, why gild a lily? Try white ankle socks and some sensible shoes."

"Don't you mention my martyred hair. I denounce this lacquered, preternatural lid.  Wear goofy bangs, get a crewcut, devolve."

"And spread out, Barbie said. Why go through life shaped like a railroad spike? Use your elbows, make shade, take up space."

"I'm sad, Barbie said, sad and smiling, smiling and sad. I'm a mental-health squeeze play, don't try this at home."

"It's too late for me, but you, you're still young, play Hamlet, bet the farm, tell the truth."


From Laura Costas, "Experience," in Mondo Barbie.

No comments: